ISBN: 0671646788 READ: February 2015
This is a book that I will be re-reading multiple times throughout my life. It changes the way one thinks and the processes that people follow to make decisions. You are what you think; if you believe you can succeed you most certainly will. Small changes in attitude can stretch your mind to be able to accomplish more every day. I recommend this book to anyone in need of motivation.
Thanks to my good friend Karol Mnich for these notes.
The Magic of Thinking BIG
You are better than you think you are
Think SUCCESS not failure
Analyze successful people and unsuccessful people
You are a scientist, the world is your lab
CURE YOURSELF OF EXCUSITIS
There is something physically wrong with everyone
Live until I die, don’t confuse death and life
Idea man vs fact man
Do not underestimate own brain power
Do not overestimate others brain power
“The thinking that guides your intelligence is much more important than how much intelligence you have”
You can start at any age
From 20-70 yrs old. Total of FIFTY years to start whatever you want
Do not dictate older people, work with them
Never an excuse
Hard work gets you places, makes others think it was “luck”
Work for it.. do not let luck be the determining factor
BUILD CONFIDENCE AND DESTROY FEAR
“Destroy fear through action”
1. Only positive thoughts in memory bank. Helps only bring up positivity.
2. Put people into proper perspective. We are more alike than you think.
3. Practice what your conscience tells you is right
Be a front seater Make eye contact Speak up Smile Big
HOW TO THINK BIG
“To think BIG, we must use words and phrases that produce BIG, positive mental images”
Respond with “wonderful”, to how are yous
Do not cut others down “hes a fine fellow”
Compliment and not just on looks “everyone wants praise”
Promise victory = win support
See what can be, not just what is
Don’t look at what you don’t have.. look at what you will be!”
Ex. Work, car, home, significant other
Some situations you need to ask yourself “Is it really THAT important?”
HOW TO THINK AND DREAM CREATIVELY
“Big people monopolize LISTENING, small people monopolize TALKING”
Believe and you will start thinking constructively
Get away from traditional thinking. Ask more about peoples ideas. Don’t always assume its impossible
Feed your mind with other occupations ex. Real Estate
“Capacity is a state of mind”
DON’T let a lot of work incapacitate you
YOU ARE WHAT YOU THINK YOU ARE
How you think determines how you act. How you act in turn determines:
How others think of you.
1. Look important
2. Think your work is important
3. Give yourself a pep talk several times a day
4. Ask yourself “Is this the way an important person thinks?”
Karol Mnich, meet Karol Mnich – a really important person.
Karol, you are a BIG thinker so thing big.
You have PLENTY enthusiasm to do a first class job, and be very good at it.
Karol you believe in happiness, progress and success.
So use CONFIDENCE to talk and think:
1)happiness 2) progress 3) success
You have lots of drive Karol, lots of it.
NOTHING can stop you from moving forward.
Karol you look good which makes you feel good. You were a good fellow yesterday and you are going to be even better today
GO FOR IT
GO FIRST CLASS
“People who tell you it cannot be done almost always are unsuccessful people, average or mediocre at best”
Quality vs Quantity
Ex. 3 pairs of shoes or 1 pair of good shoes?
1. Be environment conscious. Your minds diet is the environment around you.
2. Make your environment work for you. NO NEGATIVE you cant do it people
3. Don’t let small thinking people hold you back. Jealous people try to make you stumble
4. Get advice from successful people
5. Get psychological sunshine. New things. New people.
6. Avoid gossip. Talk only positive
7. Go first class for everything. Cannot afford otherwise.
MAKE YOUR ATTITUDES YOUR ALLIES
“You don’t need to know ‘language’ to say you are in love”
“To get enthusiastic, learn more about what you are not enthusiastic about”
1. Grow the “I am activated” attitude. Learn more about things you don’t want to know. Life up everything.. your handshake, your smile.
2. Grow the important attitude. People do more when you make them feel important too. Show appreciation at every opportunity. Call people by name.
3. Grow the “service first” attitude. Give people more than they expect to get.
THINK RIGHT TOWARD PEOPLE
The most important person present is the one person most active and introducing himself. Meet EVERYONE
Follow up with a PHONE CALL when meeting someone. NOT TEXT
I.E business, women, hobby
Don’t expect anyone to be perfect. Accept differences and imperfections
Practice conversation generosity. Let others talk to you about their views, opinions and accomplishments
When things go wrong:
What can I do to make myself more deserving of the next opportunity
Do not waste time and energy being discouraged. Plan to win next time.
GET THE ACTION HABIT
1. Be an activationist
2. Do not wait until conditions are perfect. They never will be.
3. Use action to cure fear and gain confidence. Do what you fear for it to disappear
4. Get down to business pronto.
5. Seize the initiative. Pick up the ball and go.
HOW TO TURN DEFEAT INTO VICTORY
1. Study setbacks to pay your way to success.
2. Have the courage to be your own constructive critic. Seek your weaknesses and then correct them.
3. Stop blaming luck.
4. Blend persistence and experimentation. Stick with a goal but do not bang your head against a stonewall. Try new approaches. Experiment.
5. There is a good side in every situation. Find it.
USE GOALS TO HELP YOU GROW
“The important thing is not where you were or where you are but where you want to get”
1. Self depreciation “I do not have the brains”
2. Security-it is “ I am comfortable where I am”
4. Parental dictation
5. Family responsibility
Create an image of yourself 10 years from now
Surrender yourself to your desires. Set goals to get more energy.
Let your major goal be your automatic pilot
Invest in yourself. Purchase those things that build mental power and efficiency
HOW TO THINK LIKE A LEADER
“A wise man will be master of his mind, A fool will be its slave”
Take time to think for yourself.
Don’t be loathing to always NEED to hangout or use your phone or any distractions